Saturday, January 30, 2010

More on Mom


OK Maybe I should devote to all the FUNNY stories that the elderly do....
But when I get sad and miss my Mom I just remember the time she refused to
take a bath...Yep they called me and after about no bathing in a week I went up there and
me and an aide commensed in giving her a bath...well the cried like a two year old...as if we
were killing her...Every time I think of that I burst out laughing...Even though it was stressful and not funny at the time it is sooo funny now...
Another story was when I was moving her from Village on the Park (Independent Living) to Sommerset (Assisted Living) well she was good with the move up until moving day...I went up there to pack her up and she had been upset and crying all day I tried to ignore her and she threatened to call the police on me...

So I had the director of the facility talk to her and he gave her a candy bar and I took her hme with me for the night (what is an extra night!!) and then the next day I got her aide to take her to the new residence for the day while I packed up her room...You have to think ahead of the elderly and it was always a chore...

She ended up spending two night with us and Mom and I got Mother/Daughter pictures taken together...something we both enjoyed doing...Two things we always enjoyed together was getting our pictures taken together (whether at Pet Smart or for a professional Photographer) and grocery shopping...We went grocery shopping every other Thursday for about 30 yrs (until she moved into Village On the Park) then I took her grocery shopping about once a Month (after all she still needed snacks)...sometimes I still miss our every other Thursdays...
Often times I would work my lunch for a couple days and take off an hour or two early so I had time to help her through the store...When Dad got in the nursing home I would work 4 or more lunches then take off half a day every other Thursday...I would pick up Mom and we would go see Dad and spend a couple hours with him then we would head out to the Grocery store...We would often laugh at some of the funny stuff he said and did in the Nursing Home but then after Dad passed and Mom became older she started doing some of the same funny stuff...I would say "Remember when Dad did that?" and she would say "No I don't remember that" and I would just say "that's OK if you don't remember" then I would change the subject so as not to upset her...

No comments: