Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Oklahoma State Fair

As I get ready to atten the Oklahoma State Fair I look back and the times my dad would take off Annual leave from Tinker Air Force base and work at the fair for extra money...
We would leave before daylight packing a lunch...and I would get in free with him...I would sit in the Hobbies building and Dad would drink coffee and give me hot chocolate...

He would go to work as a guard or parking cars and I would get to roam free (I was 14 but back then you didn't have to worry much about it) and without cell phones I had to check in with dad occasionally to let him know I was still there...

We would then meet for lunch and eat together...Dad telling me all his WWII stories and about his childhood and then again I got to go on my own after lunch...I found out the first year NOT to spend $14 by pulling strings for a stuffed annimal that they probably paid $5 for..

Then dad would get off work around 4 or 5 and we would ride the Monorail or Space Tower for free...then we would get back in the car and head back for home...Life was good...
dad was good and OHHHHHH how I miss him now...
I will go to the Fair today and I will think of Dad as I see the little man parking cars and I will eat me a corn dog for Dad after all some traditions never die out!!!

No comments: